Plans and Standards
Our Strategy and Regional Workplan
Our mission for public involvement is to promote appropriate and meaningful public involvement in the research we support. We believe involving people who have personal knowledge and experience of a research topic as a patient, service user or carer will strengthen and improve the quality of research and make it more relevant and appropriate.
Our strategic objectives are linked to the strategic recommendations which are outlined in the Going the Extra Mile (GtEM) review. Our strategy and work plan has been developed in collaboration with our Public Involvement Forum and signed off by our Executive group.
RDS YH Objectives
- Provide high quality, evidence based public involvement support and guidance for researchers at the grant application stage. (Links to GtEM Recommendation 1 – Communication and Information)
- Facilitate and monitor public involvement throughout RDS YH strategic activities. (Links to GtEM Recommendation 1, 4 & 6 Communication, Continuous Improvement and Co-production)
- Provide financial support for high quality public involvement activities related to the development of national, peer reviewed funding applications. (Links to GtEM Recommendation 5 Continuous Improvement)
- Provide leadership and direction to bring together the practice of public involvement in health and social care research conducted in Yorkshire and Humber. (Links to GtEM Recommendation 7 & 10 Connectivity, Coordination and Community)
- Develop and maintain the skills and knowledge in public involvement amongst RDS YH advisers so that a high quality, up-to-date advice is provided. (Links to GtEM Recommendation 1 Communication and Information)
- Work nationally with INVOLVE, NIHR, RDS’s and other national stakeholders in relation to our public involvement work. (Links to GtEM Recommendation 2 & 7 Culture and Connectivity)
- Further increase diversity and promote awareness of public involvement in research. ( Links to GtEM Recommendation1, 2 & 7 Communication, Culture and Connectivity)
You can view our full strategy and work plan here.
National Standards for Public Involvement in Research
A UK-wide partnership have been developing a set of standards and indicators for public involvement in research. The aim of the standards is to improve the quality and consistency of public involvement in research.
The standards can be adapted to your situation and can be used with any approach to public involvement in research.
At the RDS YH we use the standards as a reflective tool to help identify what we are doing well and what needs improving.